October 31, 2018
Hundreds of real estate development volunteers. One day. Renovating one community asset!
This year, the DCBIA Community Improvement Day effort will recondition Keene Field in Ward 5, a field that abuts DC Bilingual Public Charter School. The open field is primarily used by young people and adults in the surrounding community to play soccer and host community events. Partnering with the DC Department of Parks & Recreation (DPR), DCBIA continues to meet with DPR leaders and community members to finalize design for enhanced uses of this popular site.
The DCBIA Community Improvement Day project breathed life into and create enhanced uses of this already popular, but underutilized site. The design elements include:
- hillside games
- entry portals
- butterfly gardens
- seating and shade structures
- a walking path
- exercise equipment
- way finding and educational signage
- general landscaping
- adding portals for future community projects
- as well as basic but necessary upgrades to include replacing perimeter fence
- fallen tree removal
- brush clearance
- replanting ground cover
- and much more.
The 2018 DCBIA Community Improvement Day
- Design Co-Chairs:
- Sonal Shah, Project Manager and Leon Ge, Architect, of HOK Architects.
- General Contractor Chair is Meral Kanik, Project Engineer, Gilbane Building Company.
- Steve Hawryluk, Director, James G. Davis Construction Corp. and Rob Kurucza, Senior Project Manager, HITT Contracting are DCBIA Community Services Corporation President and Vice President respectively, lending their project management leadership to the effort.
- These DCBIA leads are currently working now with a team of talented DCBIA design and general contractor volunteers to prepare us for Community Improvement Day 2018 scheduled for Saturday, September 22, 2018.
- Thank you to all our sponsors. Photos to follow!