Committees, DC Agency Working Groups, and Community Services Corporation
DCBIA committees and agency work groups are where DCBIA thought-leaders are built and industry information is shared. These groups advance solutions-based proposals and ensure DCBIA's agile and responsive approach to market conditions and member needs. Included in all DCBIA groups is a sharp focus on development East of the River, on young and emerging real estate development leaders, and on issues impacting the environment, energy and sustainability.
Active DCBIA members can participate in any committee.* Sign up be clicking the link in each section.*
COMMITTEES, AGENCY WORK GROUPS (AWG), and COMMUNITY SERVICES CORPORATION
1. Capital Markets - The Capital Markets Committee develops roundtable discussions on the current and future capital markets. The Committee also evaluates financial trends and project financing and organizes and hosts a CEO forum yearly. Co-chaired by Andrew Leahy, Washington REIT and Susan Smith of AON.
2. Commercial/Office/Retail Leasing - The COR Committee studies local, national, and international retail trends and monitors and promotes commercial, office and retail leasing in the DC area (formerly Retail Business Development). The Committee also organizes presentations by real estate leaders and hosts walking tours of new spaces. - Co-chaired by Keith Sellars/Chad Shuskey, Washington DC Economic Partnership and Curvin Leatham of Area Probe.
3. Construction & Development - The C&D Committee (formerly Commercial Construction) holds roundtable discussions on commercial construction and development and evaluates trends and federal/local legislative regulatory proposals. Organizes and hosts the three-part Design-Build Symposium in 2017. Co-chaired by Steve Teitelbaum, WMATA, Michael Greene, Hines, & Charles Struse, Miller.
4. Housing - The Housing Committee focuses on creating solutions-based proposals to improve housing in the District of Columbia, including housing production, management, financing, and regulation. Co-Chaired by: Clint Mann, Urban Pace & Grant Epstein of Community Three Development.
Ad-Hoc Housing Subcommittees: Affordable Housing Policy and Initiatives
; Inclusionary Zoning (IZ), Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act (TOPA), Rent Control
, and Planned Unit Development (PUD).
5. Public Policy & Regulation - The Committee monitors legislation that impacts DC real estate development and provides written and oral testimony to the Council of the District of Columbia on behalf of DCBIA. The Committee also develops strategies on industry issues, including regulations, taxes, and impositions. Co-Chaired by Janene Jackson, Holland & Knight and Jeff Utz of Goulston & Storrs. (*Participation in this Committee requires approval from DCBIA President).
6. Young Leaders -
The Young Leaders Committee focuses on professional development for leaders in real estate development, including networking, educational programs, development tours and community service opportunities. Young Leaders under 35 who work for member companies are automatically eligible to join the committee with no additional cost. Co-chaired by Jessica Bloomfield, Holland & Knight and Charles Struse, Miller.
7. DC Agency Working Groups
- The DCBIA Agency Working Groups work closely with DC Government Agency Leadership to develop solutions to concerns of the development industry, including educational sessions and input into regulations. Chaired by Lisa Mallory, CEO, DCBIA.
- Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs
- Department of Small, Local Business Development
- Department of General Services
- DC Water
- District Department of Transportation
- Department of Housing & Community Development
- Office of Planning
- Office of the Chief Financial Officer
For more information about DCBIA Committees, & DC Agency Working Groups
Contact DCBIA at (202) 966-8665 or email us at email@example.com.
DCBIA Community Services Corporation (CSC).
The DCBIA CSC, formed in 1997, is a separate 501(c)(3) organization that serves as an educational and charitable organization that fosters a commitment to community service and volunteerism among members of the Washington, D.C. real estate development business community. The Corporation's President is Steve Hawryluk of James G Davis Construction. View the Board members here.
Also, in its 27th year, DCBIA hosts a "Community Improvement Day" to renovate a community site each fall. Preceded by months of design and community engagement meetings, teams of DCBIA members gather on different zones across the site to finalize design plans and significantly improve a deserving DC community asset.
If you'd like to be a part of the Committee planning this event for September 21, 2019, SIGN UP HERE
DCBIA / OP Comprehensive Plan Amendment Working Group - This ad-hoc committee formed in response to the opportunity to provide public comment to the District's Comprehensive Plan process. This group has prepared and submitted proposed amendments to DC's Office of Planning Comprehensive Plan amendment process on June 23, 2017. The Comp Plan Framework legislation, the critical introductory chapter of the District's Comp Plan, was sent to Council for action twice, the latest was in January 2019. In May 2019, OP released the city's Comp Plan Values after hearing from DC residents and launched a webpage - DC2Me. The DC Council is expected to take action on the Framework legislation and OP will follow by publishing the subsequent chapters. DCBIA supports the Framework element.
Co-Chaired by Senthil Sankaran, Director of Development at EDENS and Jeff Utz, Director, Goulston & Storrs.